A Simple Breakdown of the Journal Portal and Categories
(...but it has a tl;dr just in case.)
This tutorial was written as a resource for everyone to use, feel free to save it somewhere, bookmark, pass on the word etc. I aim to educate
My Journal or the Journal Portal?
When submitting the journal, the options look like this:
- My Journal: determines whether it's shown on the featured section of your journal page (and the Journal widget on your profile) or not. If you untick this, it'll only show up on the browse page - just like in the Featured and Browse section of your Gallery.
What category do I choose?
- The Journal Portal: tick this if you want your journal to be found in the Journal Portal, which can be found by clicking "journals" to the left on dA's front page. This is also required for your journal to get into the dA footer, and the "news" section of your watchers' message centers.
I will not go into all the different categories with sub categories of journals, since these are the same as they used to be for news (so nothing changed) and they do not effect the behaviour, only where it can be found (just like in other deviation categories). I'll just point out the basic structure, which is like this:
- Personal Journal: this is the category shown when your journal is not submitted to the Journal Portal. That's why this category is not under the main "journals" category and cannot be found on the front page.
- Journals / Personal: The default category. The difference with Personal Journal is that this category is part of the Journal Portal. They will still not show in the footer or in the news sections.
- The other categories are Art News, Culture, deviantART Inc., and Fun. These are subcategories under the main Journals category (and thus part of the Journal Portal). Only submissions to one of these categories may reach the footer, and will come into the News section of message centers, rather than Journals.
Note! It's important to consider whether your journal really needs to be in one of these News categories; if you're not sure check :faq687:
For the average journal, the default options are fine, but you can untick "Journal Portal" to hide your journal from general browsing. Or if your journal is an important message/announcement to the community, leave it ticked and choose another category than Journals > Personal.